Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Home Alone

Tonight my husband is out of town.   I always loved to have this time alone when I was drinking.   I could drink my wine without feeling judged or feeling the need to be secretive.  I would find some chick flick on netflix and enjoy the evening.   Of course I would end up not remembering how the movie ended and I would wake up dehydrated and headachy in the middle of the night.  The next day I would be full of regrets and promises to myself to do better.   NO MORE!   It is so sad that I found that to be such a wonderful evening.   Me and my bottle of VINO.  It really was like a secret love affair.  Nothing could be better.  How embarrassing to face the reality of that sad fact.

Tonight I welcome the challenge to stay alcohol free.   My dog and I will take a long walk and I will make myself a yummy dinner (I am still not concerned about the extra calories I am eating).   When I talk to my husband on the phone I won't have to worry about whether or not I am slurring my words.  When he asks me what I did in his absence I won't feel like a liar.

I still haven't found a great alcohol free beverage.   I am not a beer drinker so Alcohol-free beer won't do it.   I have tried Alcohol free wine.   Yuk!   Any suggestions?

Soberly Yours,

Neinwine

8 comments:

  1. My goodness that is exactly what I did when himself went away ... I couldn't wait, and as I made my way to the fridge I knew I would regret it :-/

    So to new beverages ... My favs are Non alcoholic ginger beer ... It gives that warm glow and I love ginger anyway. Also lime and soda with lots of ice. I find that getting a lovely refreshing clinking glass at wine o'clock works for me ... I now have an array of ice cube makers (stars, diamond shapes).

    I have also found that since leaving the wine witch I am enjoying tea and coffee more ... I wonder if taste buds were zapped as well as brain cells!!! :-)

    Hope this helps .... Have a good evening ... Feel proud .. You are doing great and helping others as you go. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same- non alcoholic ginger beer, and lime with lemonade. I also liked mocktails at first. I seem to just stick to cordials, tea and hot chocolate now. I don't really feel like I have to find a replacement anymore. If I go out for a meal I usually have a lime and lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same- non alcoholic ginger beer, and lime with lemonade. I also liked mocktails at first. I seem to just stick to cordials, tea and hot chocolate now. I don't really feel like I have to find a replacement anymore. If I go out for a meal I usually have a lime and lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same- non alcoholic ginger beer, and lime with lemonade. I also liked mocktails at first. I seem to just stick to cordials, tea and hot chocolate now. I don't really feel like I have to find a replacement anymore. If I go out for a meal I usually have a lime and lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot chocolate. If Im feeling really good I might add whipped cream or mini marshmallows. Your nights alone perfectly mirror mine. Hope you enjoyed the walk with the pup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and Shloer does some nice sparkling drinks that look like wine in a beautiful glass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just like that but now I'm enjoying curling up with a very good book! My favourites at the moment are ginger cordial with diet lemonade and lots of ice, and hot chocolate. Things with strong flavours that don't remind me of alcohol. I buy the posh hot chocolate (it's flaked chocolate and you mix it with a little boiling water then hot milk) - it's more expensive but very decadent and still so much cheaper than a decent bottle of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have had hot chocolate a few times and that does seem to be a great choice, especially as the weather is getting cooler. I have tried ginger beer and I didn't really like it. Cranberry juice w soda water and lime has been yummy. I am going to try lemonade with lime. That sounds good.

    ReplyDelete